Question: What is the difference between
if let and
Suggested approach: Both check and unwrap optionals, but
guard forces an early return if its check fails – your code will literally not compile unless you exit the scope. Furthermore, any variables that
guard unwraps stay in scope after the
guard block, whereas with
if let the variables are available only inside the scope.
- There are over 100 interview questions in the system. Once you've read the question and come up with a suitable answer, try reading my suggested approach below.
- To see another question just refresh the page; a new question is chosen every second.
- These questions are not designed to be hard; a good interviewer is more interested in generating discussion that lets your ability and interests shine through. The handful that are harder are specifically marked – the majority are suitable for junior to intermediate developers.
- If you answer a question with "yes" or "no" you've missed the point – interviewers prefer you to provide reasoning, explanation, or detail, so try to elaborate with examples!
- If you're looking for detailed technical questions about the language, you should try my Swift tests instead – there are multiple challenges that will work your brain hard.
- For a whole series of coding challenges, I wrote the perfect book for you: Swift Coding Challenges.