UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: Using custom colors in a Gradient

Forums > SwiftUI

Hello,

Today I’m playing with Gradient and custom colors. I can’t seem to figure out the syntax to use a custom color and a Gradient tho.

I’ve created 3 custom colors in my assets. botBlue, botGreen, botOrange, botPurple, and I’ve tried to use them in the examples below, all of which do not compile.

.background(LinearGradient(gradient: Gradient(colors: [Color(mobColors.botBlue), Color.green]), startPoint: .top, endPoint: .bottom))

…

.background(LinearGradient(gradient: Gradient(colors: [Color(botBlue), Color.green]), startPoint: .top, endPoint: .bottom))

…

.background(LinearGradient(gradient: Gradient(colors: [Color(.botBlue), Color.green]), startPoint: .top, endPoint: .bottom))

I’ve also tried to create a static var and then use the variable name in a Gradient, as follows, but no joy.

struct mobColors {
    static let botifyPurple = Color("botPurple")
    static let botifyBlue = Color("botBlue")
    static let botifyGreen = Color("botGreen")
    static let botifyOrange = Color("botOrange")
}

If anyone can advise how I can use custom colors in a Gradient, that would be much appriciated.

Tnank you!

Try like this: .background(LinearGradient(colors: [.botBlue, .green], startPoint: .top, endPoint: .bottom))

You can put them in to an extension on Color EG

extension Color {
    static let botifyPurple = Color("botPurple")
    static let botifyBlue = Color("botBlue")
    static let botifyGreen = Color("botGreen")
    static let botifyOrange = Color("botOrange")
}

Then you can use it as a normal color

LinearGradient(colors: [.botifyOrange, .green], startPoint: .top, endPoint: .bottom)

To use @Sergey suggestion you have to add the struct name first

LinearGradient(colors: [MobColor.botifyOrange, .green], startPoint: .top, endPoint: .bottom)

Or use Color("botOrange")

LinearGradient(colors: [Color("botOrange"), .green], startPoint: .top, endPoint: .bottom)

My choice is to use the first as less likely for typos and will be on the auto complete so you can use anywhere

PS you should use caps form struct names EG MobColor not mobColors

Thank you! and thanks for the Struct tip. I just use camel case all the time. Will revise.

A few other tricks for you.

1. You can define them in an enum. In my case, these matched Asset colors (which had both a light and dark variant).
  2. If you make the enum conform to CaseIterable, you can do .allCases.
  3. You can add previews for enums! And look at how they look in light and dark modes.

https://gist.github.com/deirdresm/8c5e5a450de53ca0569017a17d4ef5f7

I'll probably crib together a small standalone example with a README, but there are a lot of tricks in here. (Some I'd do differently now that I've been working in SwiftUI for a couple of years; this is a couple of years old.)

Screencap of the preview output is below the code.

TAKE YOUR SKILLS TO THE NEXT LEVEL If you like Hacking with Swift, you'll love Hacking with Swift+ – it's my premium service where you can learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI, functional programming, algorithms, and more. Plus it comes with stacks of benefits, including monthly live streams, downloadable projects, a 20% discount on all books, and free gifts!

Find out more

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.