TEAM LICENSES: Save money and learn new skills through a Hacking with Swift+ team license >>

Updating a "main" Window after changing items in a Settings window

Forums > SwiftUI

I have a simple single-window application. It displays zero or more groups of controls in that main window based on "configurations" managed in a Settings (Preferences) view.

The "configuration" for a group is a structure (conforming to Identifiable, Codable) with an id, a string to hold a label for the group, and a handful of booleans that if true will show a particular control and not show it if false. An array of this structure is @Published in a class conforming to ObservableObject, and instances of the class are stored in UserDefaults. (It's code taken from one of Paul's examples.)

In the @main App structure, I declare a @StateObject var configs = Configs(). In the body of this App my Scene has a Window for the usual ContentView and a Settings for my PreferencesView. All standard so far. Also standard: in both the PreferencesView and the ContentView I declare an @ObservedObject var configs : Configs.

In the body of ContentView I check to see if the array that's in configs is empty. (At first program launch it is.) If empty, a Text is shown saying "please configure at least one thing." Otherwise, a ForEach() block iterates on the array and instantiates one or more ChannelViews. A ChannelView shows the controls enabled for the channel. A different Settings structure type holds the values for each control.

The PreferencesView has code to create, add and modify the configs.

Here's the weird part. As I modify the configs object (adding to or changing the contents of the array it contains), I expect that the ContentView window should update and show newly-added Channels or disppear Channels that were deleted in the Preferences. That does not happen. However, if I close the application and re-start it, the main window shows the Channels that were configured previously.

I don't understand this behavior. So the question: how do I force the view in ContentView to immediately update/refresh/reload/whatever when the configs object updates?

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by String Catalog.

SPONSORED Get accurate app localizations in minutes using AI. Choose your languages & receive translations for 40+ markets!

Localize My App

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Reply to this topic…

You need to create an account or log in to reply.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.