TEAM LICENSES: Save money and learn new skills through a Hacking with Swift+ team license >>

SwiftUI: Setting @Published property in ViewModel weird behaviour

Forums > SwiftUI

I am creating a simple Photo library app based on a users Photo library. I have a LibraryView that displays all the photos, and when clicking on a Photo a DetailView loads that should display information from the photo. The issue I am facing is that @Published vars in my DetailView's viewModel are being set to nil.

In the LibraryView I create a AssetViewModel for each photo by passing in the PHAsset object to the initializer:

ForEach(assets) { asset in
    NavigationLink(destination: DetailView(asset: AssetViewModel(asset: asset))) {
        // Thumbnail image
    }
}

This AssetViewModel is a ObservedObject and during the init I only set it's asset, which is a PHAsset.

@Published private var asset: PHAsset

init(asset: PHAsset) {
        self.asset = asset
    }

In my DetailView I call a load function in my AssetViewModel with the onAppear modifier. In this load function, I call some other funcitons to setup some variables of the ViewModel such as it's image. The function that fetches the image has an escaping closure. Once this is finished, I update the image var of my AssetViewModel, which is parked as @Published. See below:

func load() {
        let imageSize = CGSize(width: 200, height: 200)
        setImage(targetSize: imageSize)
        // Some other stuff as well
    }

// The image of the asset
    @Published private (set) var image: UIImage?

// Function that fetches and sets the image of the asset
    private func setImage(targetSize: CGSize) {
        asset.imageForAsset(targetSize: targetSize) { (image) in
            DispatchQueue.main.async {
                self.image = image
            }
        }
    }

Now the problem is that if I click on a photo from my LibraryView, the new DetailView slides in, and it shows the image, but after a fraction of a second the image is gone and the image var in my AssetViewModel is nil. I have no clue why this is happening..

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by String Catalog.

SPONSORED Get accurate app localizations in minutes using AI. Choose your languages & receive translations for 40+ markets!

Localize My App

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.