UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SwiftUI (Playgrounds) - Passing a value from one view to another

Forums > SwiftUI

I am learning SwiftUI and am trying to achieve an effect where when content is scrolled, a background image becomes blurred.

I am using Playgrounds on the Mac/iPad at the moment (which is why ArtworkImage is public), in these are the two files which contain the code.

I've tried to follow the explanation here but with not much luck - ScrollView effects using GeometryReader

Main (MovieView)

import SwiftUI
import PlaygroundSupport

struct MovieView: View {

var body: some View {
        ArtworkImage()
            .overlay(
                ScrollView { <- the amount scrolled will determine the blur effect
                    VStack(alignment: .leading, spacing: 40) {
                        Spacer()
                            .frame(height: 280)
                        MovieInfo()
                        CastRow()
                        MovieRow()
                        Spacer()
                    }
                }
            )
    }
}

PlaygroundPage.current.setLiveView(MovieView())

ArtworkImage.swift (within in MovieView Sources)

import SwiftUI

public struct ArtworkImage: View {
    public init(){}

public var body: some View {
        let poster: Image = Image(uiImage: #imageLiteral(resourceName: "wandavision.jpg"))

GeometryReader { geo in
            poster
                .resizable()
                .aspectRatio(contentMode: .fill)
                .frame(width: geo.size.width)
                .blur(radius: 80, opaque: true)
                .ignoresSafeArea()
        }
        .overlay(
            VStack {
                GeometryReader { geo in
                    poster
                        .resizable()
                        .aspectRatio(contentMode: .fill)
                        .frame(width: geo.size.width, height: 456, alignment: .top)
                        .mask(
                            Rectangle()
                                .fill(LinearGradient(gradient: Gradient(colors: [Color.clear, Color.black]), startPoint: .bottom, endPoint: .top))
                        )
                    .blur(radius: [based on the amount the user has scrolled the ScrollView in the MovieView view])
                }

Spacer()
            }
        )
    }
}

What I'm trying to do (and not sure if this is the best way to do it), is store the amount of units that the user has scrolled (in pixels?), and pass it to ArtworkImage View, where I can use it in a calculation in the .blur() modifier. Do I need to use something like @EnvironmentObject? Or is there just a much better way of doing this? :D

I hope this makes sense. Any help appreciated.

TAKE YOUR SKILLS TO THE NEXT LEVEL If you like Hacking with Swift, you'll love Hacking with Swift+ – it's my premium service where you can learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI, functional programming, algorithms, and more. Plus it comes with stacks of benefits, including monthly live streams, downloadable projects, a 20% discount on all books, and free gifts!

Find out more

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.