TEAM LICENSES: Save money and learn new skills through a Hacking with Swift+ team license >>

"Stream" data from child view to parent view

Forums > SwiftUI

@gs  

Hello,

I'm a Swift newbie and building an app that helps with dictation for MacOS. Here is the overview of how the project is setup.

1. SpeechRecognizerManager (ObservableObject Class): Handles all things to do with speech recognition - Permissions, Start transcribing, Stop transcribing and has a variable transcribedText which outputs in real-time as the user is talking.
  2. ListeningButton (Swift UI): Creates a button that handles all cases of listening using SpeechRecognizerManager. Permissions (onAppear), Start & Stop transcribing (On Toggle), Button's UI changes (On Toggle). It has two binding variables: isListening & transcribedText. The goal for these variables is to always keep the parent view updated with the latest status.
  3. ContentView (Swift UI): I plan to call the ListeningButton to various views, testing with first view currently. I have access to both isListening & transcribedText. However, I only get access to transcribedText when the listening is stopped.

Requirement: Get access to transcribedText in the parent view as the text is transcribed, in real-time.

Possible Solutions: Below are the solutions I can think of as a newbie. I'd like to know if there are any other solutions or one of these are recommended.

1. Somehow get access to SpeechRecognizerManager.transcribedText in the parent view. I don't know if it is possible and how so. (Update: I figured out how to do this based on @dbtl88's correction of GPT-4 coding skills :) I still need to know if this is the best way or not.)
  2. Change the ListeningButton UI to constantly (using while isListening: true) set transcribedText = SpeechRecognizerManager.transcribedText. Is this recommended? Feels like a "hack", but I'm not sure.
  3. Make the Real-time streaming of transcribedText as part of the ListeningButton UI. I don't really prefer this as it limits the UI functionality in the Parent Views.
  4. Any other better way?

ListeningButton:

import SwiftUI

struct ListeningButton: View {
    @StateObject var speechRecognizerManager: SpeechRecognizerManager = SpeechRecognizerManager()

// State variable to track hover status
    @State private var isHovering : Bool = false
    @State private var blink : Bool = false

@Binding var isListening : Bool
    @Binding var transcribedText: String

let blinkTimer = Timer.publish(every: 0.7, on: .main, in: .common).autoconnect() // Timer to trigger the blink

var body: some View {
        Button(action: toggleListening) {
            Image(systemName: "mic")
                .imageScale(.large)
                .foregroundColor(isHovering ? .green : (colorScheme == .dark ? .black : .white)) // Adapt foreground color & change color on hover
                .opacity(blink ? 0.1 : 1.0) // Blink effect by changing opacity
                .padding()                // Add padding to increase the circular area
                .background(self.isListening ? Color.red : Color.blue) // Red when recording
                .clipShape(Circle())      // Clip the background to a circle shape
                .onHover { hovering in
                    isHovering = hovering
                }
        }
        .onReceive(blinkTimer) { _ in
            if isListening {
                withAnimation(.easeInOut(duration: 0.5)) {
                    blink.toggle()
                }
            }
        }
        .onAppear {
            requestSpeechRecognitionPermission()
            blink = false
        }
        .onDisappear {
            blinkTimer.upstream.connect().cancel() // Cancel the timer when the view disappears
        }

}

private func toggleListening() {
        if isListening {
            speechRecognizerManager.stopTranscribing()
            blinkTimer.upstream.connect().cancel() // Stop blinking when not listening
            blink = false
            transcribedText = speechRecognizerManager.transcribedText
        } else {
            speechRecognizerManager.startTranscribing()
            transcribedText = speechRecognizerManager.transcribedText
            blinkTimer.upstream.connect() // Start blinking when listening
        }
        isListening.toggle() // Update the listening state
    }

private func requestSpeechRecognitionPermission() {
        speechRecognizerManager.requestSpeechAuthorization()
    }
}

Relevant code from the ContentView:

import SwiftUI

struct ContentView: View {    
    @State private var transcribedText: String = ""
    @State private var isListening : Bool = false
    var body: some View {
    ScrollView {
                    ZStack (alignment:.bottomTrailing) {
                        ListeningButton(isListening: $isListening, transcribedText: $transcribedText)
                        VStack() {
                            Text(transcribedText)
                                .padding()
                            Text(isListening ? "Listening" : "Not Listening")
                                .padding()
                        }
                    }
                }

Relevant code of SpeechRecognizerManager:

class SpeechRecognizerManager: ObservableObject {

@Published var transcribedText: String = ""

if let result = result {
                    DispatchQueue.main.async {
                        self?.transcribedText = result.bestTranscription.formattedString
                    }
                    isFinal = result.isFinal
                }

Thanks!

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by RevenueCat.

SPONSORED Take the pain out of configuring and testing your paywalls. RevenueCat's Paywalls allow you to remotely configure your entire paywall view without any code changes or app updates.

Learn more here

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Reply to this topic…

You need to create an account or log in to reply.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.