UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: question about managed object context

Forums > SwiftUI

So i've been learning from 100 days. of swiftui about moc and i have some questions. First one: if i understand correctly, moc is like a place where you can save data, but its not written to the hard disk till you save it right? second one: whats the difference between a managed object and managed object context? last one: what exactly does. this code do

class DataController: ObservableObject {
    let container = NSPersistentContainer(name: "Bookworm")

init() {
        container.loadPersistentStores { description, error in
            if let error = error {
                print("Core Data failed to load: \(error.localizedDescription)")
            }
        }
    }
}

i understand its to initialize core data right? but id like to know what each line does. sorry for bad grammar or punctuation, my mac sometimes skips spaces/letters.

To answer your questions it's best to define what a managed object and a managed object context are.

A managed object represents your entities. A managed object context is best defined by quoting Apple's Core Data Programming Guide:

Think of the managed object context as an intelligent scratch pad. When you fetch objects from a persistent store, you bring temporary copies onto the scratch pad[…]. You can then modify those objects however you like. Unless you actually save those changes, however, the persistent store remains unaltered.

And to answer your last question:

class DataController: ObservableObject { // Create a class that conforms to ObservableObject, by doing so we make sure that it stays alive for the whole life cycle of our app.
    let container = NSPersistentContainer(name: "Bookworm") // Uses the name to name the persistent store and to look up the managed object model, we therefore use the same name as in Bookworm.xcdatamodeld

init() { // Initializes the class
        container.loadPersistentStores { description, error in // Tells the persistent container to load its persistent stores, by doing so it completes the creation of the core data stack. The method returns a description of the stores and can throw an error.
            if let error = error { // Assign error to constant error.
                print("Core Data failed to load: \(error.localizedDescription)") // Print out the error message.
            }
        }
    }
}

Here are some great ressources:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/coredata/core_data_stack

https://www.objc.io/issues/4-core-data/core-data-models-and-model-objects

https://cocoacasts.com/working-with-managed-objects-in-core-data

thank you!

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.