TEAM LICENSES: Save money and learn new skills through a Hacking with Swift+ team license >>

Notifications and CarPlay

Forums > SwiftUI

I've had a hands-free reminder app on the AppStore for a while now. It speaks a reminder at a specific time (say 4:00pm on Tuesday). It uses the Notification system.

I recently got a vehicle with CarPlay. When the phone is plugged into CarPlay, not only does the notification not speak through the speakers, it doesn't speak on the phone. The visual notification doesn't even show up on the lock screen.

So I have this question out to the world. I have some answer that states that "Apple doesn't allow it, and it can't be done". I have another answer on another forum that has code to put into the notification to make it work. Of course I've been working on this for 2 months, and so far, no progress. The code basically asks for additional permission when first installed (.badge, .sound, .alert, .carplay). It also registers a category for the notification with the option .allowInCarplay.

Anyone familiar with CarPlay? Do you need a CarPlay entitlement for a Notification to be "announced"? If so, which entitlement? (I was rejected for .communications, rightly so I think, because it isn't a communications app)

I'm at the point where it just isn't worth keeping the app on the AppStore because of this. If a passenger is in a vehicle and plugs her/his phone into CarPlay, the "Don't forget to take your medication" reminder won't play at all. People don't understand "Oh, it's a feature of Apple to keep you safe."

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by String Catalog.

SPONSORED Get accurate app localizations in minutes using AI. Choose your languages & receive translations for 40+ markets!

Localize My App

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Reply to this topic…

You need to create an account or log in to reply.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.