TEAM LICENSES: Save money and learn new skills through a Hacking with Swift+ team license >>

SOLVED: Initializing a View with a Property

Forums > SwiftUI

I am an expeienced professional iOS developer but very inexperienced with SwiftUI, just started using it last week.

I have a so-far-simple app that has a SwiftUI wrapper around a WebView and a footer view (named WebNavigationView) with navigation buttons. I have been following an example app at https://github.com/yamin335/SwiftUIWebView

As in the example app, I am using a PassthroughSubject to publish messages to the WebView.

I want to use the navigation buttons to send back and forward navigation commands to the webView. For proper code modularization, I want to pass the ContentView's viewModel to the WebNavigationView so i can call its PassthroughSubject from the buttons.

ContentView

struct ContentView: View {
   @ObservedObject var viewModel = ViewModel()

var body: some View {
      VStack(spacing: 0) {
         WebView(currentURL: storeURL.urlString, viewModel: viewModel).overlay (
            RoundedRectangle(cornerRadius: 4, style: .circular)
               .stroke(Color.gray, lineWidth: 0.5)
         )
         WebNavigationView().frame(minWidth: 0, maxWidth: .infinity, minHeight: 64, maxHeight: 64).background(Color.white)
      }

}
}

struct ContentView_Previews: PreviewProvider {
   static var previews: some View {
      ContentView()
   }
}

WebNavigationView so far is:

struct WebNavigationView: View {
   @State var viewModel: ViewModel

HStack(alignment: .center, spacing: 32, content: {
         Button(action: goBack) {
            Image(systemName: "chevron.backward").resizable().aspectRatio(contentMode: .fit)
         }.frame(width: 38, height: 38, alignment: .center).padding(.leading, 64)
         Button(action: goForward) {
            Image(systemName: "chevron.forward").resizable().aspectRatio(contentMode: .fit)
         }.frame(width: 38, height: 38, alignment: .center)
         Spacer()
      })
   }

func goBack() {

}

func goForward() {

}

}

I think this is the proper pattern, is it correct? It works, but I want to write idiomatic SwiftUI so we don't have to go through in six months and redo all the stuff we did when learning.

Actually, after doing more reading on @State, is it necessary to mark the viewModel property with the @State property wrapper here? The ViewModel struct is never mutated anywhere in the app.

To pass an observableObject to a childView, you should use a binding. Replace this in your WebNavigationView:

@State var viewModel: ViewModel

with this:

@Binding var viewModel: ViewModel

And update your ContentView to pass in the viewModel to your WebNavigationView:

WebNavigationView(viewModel: $viewModel).frame(minWidth: 0, maxWidth: .infinity, minHeight: 64, maxHeight: 64).background(Color.white)

Now you have full access to your viewModel in the WebNavigationView.

More info: https://www.hackingwithswift.com/quick-start/swiftui/what-is-the-binding-property-wrapper

@joosttk Thanks a bunch! Unfortunately that begets the build-time error Cannot convert value of type 'ObservedObject<ViewModel>.Wrapper' to expected argument type 'Binding<ViewModel>'

If I change the ContentView's viewModel property to be wrapped as @State, the code works, but still not sure if that's correct.

Make sure you use the $-sign when passing in your viewModel to your childview:

WebNavigationView(viewModel: $viewModel).frame(minWidth: 0, maxWidth: .infinity, minHeight: 64, maxHeight: 64).background(Color.white)

@joosttk I did! I promise. :) If I leave the ContentView's viewModel property wrapped with @ObservedObject, I get that error.

Copy and paste for verification:

WebView(viewModel: viewModel).overlay (
         )

and :

@Binding var viewModel: ViewModel

Ah yes.. makes sense, I was a bit confused.

I believe you can just pass it as a normal variable. No need to use State or a Binding.

WebView(viewModel: viewModel).overlay (
         )
         WebNavigationView(viewModel: viewModel).frame(minWidth: 0, maxWidth: .infinity, minHeight: 64, maxHeight: 64).background(Color.white)

And

var viewModel: ViewModel

@joosttk Thanks!

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by String Catalog.

SPONSORED Get accurate app localizations in minutes using AI. Choose your languages & receive translations for 40+ markets!

Localize My App

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.