UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Accessing the index in ForEach... or how to alternate text color?

Forums > SwiftUI

@speg  

Salutations,

I am trying to render an array of strings in a scroll view.

I currently have:

ForEach(output, id: \.self) { text in
                    Text(text)
                        .font(.system(.body, design: .monospaced))
                        .frame(maxWidth: .infinity, alignment: .leading)
                        .foregroundColor(.white)

Now I would like to alternate the foregroundColor with a little index % 2 == 0 ? .white : .green however the closure does not give me the index.

Also, the array changes so I am not allowed to iterate over a range and use that as an index.

At this point, I'm thinking there's probably a better way to approach this than trying to force ths issue with ForEach.

I think this should work.

ForEach(output.indices, id: \.self) { index in
                    Text(output[index])
                        .font(.system(.body, design: .monospaced))
                        .frame(maxWidth: .infinity, alignment: .leading)
                        .foregroundColor (index % 2 == 0 ? .white : .green)

@speg  

Thanks @ShadowDES , that worked! At first I thought it wouldn't because when I tried doing ForEach(0..<output.endIndex) it complained. Not sure exactly why this version works, perhaps becasue .indicies returns a different object each time?

Might I suggest not using "ForEach" but a "For In" Loop. Below I used this technique to get the current index of a custom photo struct in an array of photos. Right after the photos are downloaded in the model I did a For In loop and assigned each photo the correct index to the index variable I made in the struct.

for index in self.photos.indices {

print("\(index)")
  self.photos[index].photoIndex = index

}

@creatorcody for in doesn't work in ViewBuilder, so it wouldn't help in this case - @speg is asking about ScrollView.

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.