UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Localization

Forums > Swift

I have a question about localized files.

One of my apps I was localizing it. But I found out that some of the localizations were incorrect. So, I removed localization from the app. However, some of my JSON files I have two copies:

Ex: catalog-csb and if I expand this I see the following two files catalog-csb (Base) & catalog-csb (English)

Since I'm not localizing my app anymore I would like to get rid of the (Base) & (English) and get rid of one of the files. But I can't seem to figure out how to do that? I'm sure its something simple, but its been driving me nuts for about a week now in not being able to figure this out.

Thanks Taz

Take a copy of the JSON file (just in case)

Then click on file to Show in Finder then delete it.

If that does not work delete the JSON file and re-insert the copy that you made.

@NigelGee

Hey my friend, yeah I've got copies of all the files.

1. My question, is why is there (Base) & (English) files? I thought that if your app wasn't localized it used the language you developed in when writing the app. Am I wrong?

In the project settings Info tab under Localizations I see Base 8 Files Localized and English 8 Files Localized there is a checkmark in the Default column for English.

1. Do I need to have Use Base Internationalization checked?

That's what I'm trying to figure out is why there is Base and English files and can I get rid of one of them, if so which one do I get rid of.

Thanks, Taz

@NigelGee,

I'd still like to hear your anwsers to my questions, but I decided on a hunch to create a new project and see what was given by default.

On the left if I select my project folder then under the Info tab for Localizations there were Base and English entries in the table and the default was English and it had a checkmark. Use Base Internationalization was also checked.

So I guess this is the default and I'll leave it alone. It just seems weird to have Base and English entries. I always thought that Base was the default language. So, if you're living in Germany and speak German then your Base would be German. I don't see the point in having both?

Taz

TAKE YOUR SKILLS TO THE NEXT LEVEL If you like Hacking with Swift, you'll love Hacking with Swift+ – it's my premium service where you can learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI, functional programming, algorithms, and more. Plus it comes with stacks of benefits, including monthly live streams, downloadable projects, a 20% discount on all books, and free gifts!

Find out more

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Reply to this topic…

You need to create an account or log in to reply.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.