UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Image stored in documents directory disappears on app relaunch/rebuild

Forums > Swift

Hello, I am relatively new to swift and completely new to FileManager, and I encountered some very strange behaviour of my app. I have a "Day" struct that can save an image provided to it by the user:

struct Day: Codable, Comparable, Equatable, Identifiable {
      /*
     some vars and inits
     */

var dayImagePath: URL?

var displayedDayImage: UIImage? {
        guard let dayImagePath = dayImagePath else { return nil }

do {
            let data = try Data(contentsOf: dayImagePath)
            guard let image = UIImage(data: data) else { throw ImageProcessingError.noDayImage }
            return image
        } catch {
            print(error.localizedDescription)
            return UIImage(systemName: "questionmark.folder")
        }
    }

mutating func addDayImage(_ image: UIImage) {

if dayImagePath == nil {
            dayImagePath = FileManager.documentsDirectory.appendingPathComponent(id.toStringId().appending("DayImage.jpeg"))
        }

if let data = image.jpegData(compressionQuality: 0.8) {
            do {
                try data.write(to: dayImagePath!, options: [.atomic, .completeFileProtection])
            } catch {
                print(error.localizedDescription)
            }
        }
    }

/*
     some more code here
     */
}

The documents directory is found using this FileManager extension:

extension FileManager {

static var documentsDirectory: URL {
        let paths = FileManager.default.urls(for: .documentDirectory, in: .userDomainMask)
        return paths[0]
    }
}

Adding the image works well, the image is displayed and stored correctly. However, it gets lost on the next app relaunch/rebuild with the following error message: The file “20220917DayImage.jpeg” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file. What am I doing wrong? I would be very grateful for any suggestions. Thank you!

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.