UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Explanation/Advice to Self (not self) needed

Forums > Swift

In my app I have an extension to NSManagedObject which is:

extension NSManagedObject {

static func getObjectFor(_ uuid: UUID, in context: NSManagedObjectContext) -> Self? {
        let fetchRequest: NSFetchRequest<Self> = NSFetchRequest<Self>(entityName: Self.description())
        fetchRequest.predicate = NSPredicate(format: "id == '\(uuid)'")
        let results = try! context.fetch(fetchRequest)
        if results.count == 1 {
            return results[0]
        }
        return nil
    }

static func getAllObjectFor(_ context: NSManagedObjectContext) -> [NSManagedObject] {
        let fetchRequest: NSFetchRequest<Self> = NSFetchRequest<Self>(entityName: Self.description())
        let results = try! context.fetch(fetchRequest)
        if results.count > 1 {
            return results
        }
        return [Self]()
    }
}

For the second function I would like to use [Self] as return type but I can't because of "Covariant 'Self' can only appear at the top level of method result type". Is there a way that I can use Self in some way to avoid casting my array of NSManagedObjects to the concrete types?

Here's the version I use.

public protocol DDRCoreData where Self: NSManagedObject {

/// fetch NSManagedObject items for a specific entity type; default implementation provided below in extension
    ///
    /// in order to use this, with the default implementation, use Xcode's codegen option of Category/Extension
    /// and then write class such as:
    ///
    /// @objc(Person) final class Person: NSManagedObject, DDRCoreData { }
    ///
    /// the class must be declared final so that [Self] can be used as the return type
    ///
    /// - Parameters:
    ///   - context: the NSManagedObjectContext to fetch the values in
    ///   - predicate: optional NSPredicate to limit the values that are fetched
    ///   - sorters: optional array of NSSortDescriptors to sort them by
    /// - Returns: an array of the matching items sorted by the sort descriptors
    static func items(for context: NSManagedObjectContext, sortedBy sorters: [NSSortDescriptor]?, matching predicate: NSPredicate?) throws -> [Self]
}

public extension DDRCoreData {

static func items(for context: NSManagedObjectContext, sortedBy sorters: [NSSortDescriptor]? = nil, matching predicate: NSPredicate? = nil) throws -> [Self] {
        let request: NSFetchRequest<Self> = NSFetchRequest(entityName: String(describing: Self.self))
        request.predicate = predicate
        request.sortDescriptors = sorters
        do {
            let results = try context.fetch(request)
            return results
        } catch {
            print("error fetching", String(describing: Self.self), error.localizedDescription)
            return []
        }
    }
}

Then I have Xcode generate category/extension versions of the NSManaged Object and declare the class as:

@objc(Person) final public class Person: NSManagedObject, DDRCoreData { }

Then I can use:

do {
let p = try Person.items(for: managedObjectContext, sortedBy: [], matching: nil)
} catch {

}

HTH, Dave

Instead of doing these functions in an extension on NSManagedObject, do them as generic functions in an extension on NSManagedObjectContext:

extension NSManagedObjectContext {
    func getObject<T:NSManagedObject>(for uuid: UUID) -> T? {
        let fetchRequest: NSFetchRequest<T> = NSFetchRequest<T>(entityName: T.description())
        fetchRequest.predicate = NSPredicate(format: "id == '\(uuid)'")
        if let results = (try? fetch(fetchRequest)), results.count == 1 {
            return results[0]
        }
        return nil
    }

func getAllObjects<T:NSManagedObject>() -> [T] {
        let fetchRequest: NSFetchRequest<T> = NSFetchRequest<T>(entityName: T.description())
        let results = (try? fetch(fetchRequest)) ?? [T]()
        return results
    }

}

Then you can do something like this:

//assuming Item is one of your NSManagedObject subclasses
let item: Item? = context.getObject(for: id)
let allItems: [Item] = context.getAllObjects()

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.