UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: capitalized example generates an error

Forums > Swift

I'm relatively new to Swift. I wanted to capitalize the first letter of each word in a title. To learn from an example, I used the following code from Hacking with Swift. It seems straight forword but I'm receiving the error "Value of type String has no member 'capitalized'".

What could be causing this error?

let str = "sunday, monday, happy days"
print(str.capitalized)

I figured it out. I needed to use import Foundation.

Does anyone have an explanation why some string methods need the Foundation class while others, such as lowercased don't require it?

Probably because capitalized is a property of NSString, which is only available through the Foundation framework. So, apparently, the NSString stuff will be available throught String only when you import Foundation, otherwise, it's standard String.

Thanks for your reply! I'll compare the two classes.

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.