UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Access Control with CoreData and FileManager

Forums > Swift

Hi everybody, How are you today?

I’m building an app that allows people to play sounds. Some sounds are premium and some aren’t.

I get the sounds from a database and then save them to CoreData so they won’t need to get fetched every time a user opens the app, but only when there’s an update in the database.

Here are my problems:

Each sound has a flag “isPremium” and if a sound is a premium sound, it allows only premium users to play it. If I save the sounds to core data then a user can alter that flag and effectively make all sounds, not premium. right? How can I prevent this?

Another problem is the audio file itself. I save the audio file of each sound to the device using FileManager, which means a user can get the audio file if they wanted to. From what I understand there is a way to restrict user access to certain directories: https://apple.co/2XrhvuJ But is it enough?

I’m completely open to suggestions. Thanks! 😊

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.