UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Antialiasing an NSImage on macOS

Forums > macOS

Hello Everyone,

Recently, I started lerning Swift using Paul's great app and the book "Hacking with macOS". In project 7 - Photo Memories - images are loaded from files on the harddisk to NSImages. These are then displayed in a collection view and also rendered to a video slideshow. I like the project a lot, but I'm having one problem:

The thumbnails as well as the output video show quite a lot of aliasing artefacts (jagged corners and hard noise). This seems to be due to the fact that my input images are larger than the images as displayed and as rendered to the video. It seem that the downscaling that is done internally is done by simple subsampling - which introduces aliasing - instead of a proper low pass filtering.

How can I tell the NSImage to use an antialiasing/blurring/low pass filter prior to resizing and displaying the images?

Thanks for your help and cheers, Patrick

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.