UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: UIScrollView with embedded UIImageView; image to fill the screen

Forums > iOS

UIKit/Programmatic UI

I have an UIScrollView with an UIImageView inside. The image is set by user selection and can have all kinds of sizes. What I want is that the image initially fills the screen (view) and then can be zoomed and scrolled all the way to the edges of the image.

If I add the ImageView directly to the view (no scrollView), I get it to fill the screen with the following code:

mapImageView.image = ProjectImages.projectDefaultImage
        mapImageView.translatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints = false
        mapImageView.contentMode = .scaleAspectFill
        view.addSubview(mapImageView)

Now the same with the scrollView and the embedded imageView:

view.insertSubview(mapImageScrollView, at: 0)
        mapImageScrollView.delegate = self
        mapImageScrollView.translatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints = false
        mapImageScrollView.contentMode = .scaleAspectFill
        mapImageScrollView.maximumZoomScale = 4.0
        mapImageScrollView.pinToEdges(of: view, safeArea: true)

mapImageView.image = ProjectImages.projectDefaultImage
        mapImageView.translatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints = false
        mapImageView.contentMode = .scaleAspectFill
        mapImageScrollView.addSubview(mapImageView)

And now, if the image's height is smaller than the view's height, the image does not fill the screen and I'm left with a blank view area below the image. I can zoom and scroll ok, and then the image does fill the view.

Adding contsraints will fill the view as I want, but interferes with the zooming and scrolling and prevents me getting to the edges of the image when zoomed in.

How to set this up correctly ?

I've found this solution that works for me, when setting and changing the image, I calculate the minimum needed zoom scale and set it on the scrollView:

var selectedMapImage: MapImage? {
        didSet {
            mapImageView.image = mapImagesController.getImageForMapImage(selectedMapImage!)
            mapImageScrollView.minimumZoomScale = view.bounds.height / mapImageView.image!.size.height
            mapImageScrollView.setZoomScale(mapImageScrollView.minimumZoomScale, animated: true)
            mapImageScrollView.scrollRectToVisible(view.bounds, animated: true)
        }
    }

TAKE YOUR SKILLS TO THE NEXT LEVEL If you like Hacking with Swift, you'll love Hacking with Swift+ – it's my premium service where you can learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI, functional programming, algorithms, and more. Plus it comes with stacks of benefits, including monthly live streams, downloadable projects, a 20% discount on all books, and free gifts!

Find out more

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.