UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Book reading order

Forums > Books

Hello World!

I finished 100 days of SwiftUI twice and think I got roughly 70~80% of the key takeaways. With my current level, which book should I start with and in which order to coninue learning more? I'm guessing that most of the books are written using UIKit and fully aware that there are ways to mix it within SwiftUI. But would it be a waste of time to read those instead of focusing more on the SwiftUI and Swift 5.5 updates?

Also if Paul ever reads this, how would you recommend the reading order regarding all the books that you've written.

Thank you for reading this post : )

Would really like to hear the answer as well

@Shimoo once asked

I finished 100 days of SwiftUI twice and think I got roughly 70~80% of the key takeaways. With my current level, which book should I start with and in which order to coninue learning more?

@Serge is curious as well.

I don't have the answer. But can offer some observations.

I think after finishing 100 Days of SwiftUI (twice!) you are like a trained chef.

That is, you've been exposed to many different cooking techniques. You've used collanders, blenders, knives, mortars, spatulas, pots, pans, piping bags, ovens, chop sticks, and many different pieces of culinary equipment. You've watched a master chef saute, reduce, bake, flambe, grate, broil, boil, slice, and dice to make delicious meals. You've learned how to add and mix spices, seasonings, herbs, creams, cheeses, and other diverse flavors. You've followed many different recipes. And, if you've done the challenges, you have made a few dishes yourself. (Some possibly more tasty than others!)

You're now asking for advice on how to proceed?

Back to the kitchen!

It's time for you to make a meal on your own. Do you want to make pastries or bread? Are you interested in French cuisine? Do you have an idea for a tasty beef brisket? You may have to call on your skills, but also look into new techniques, new equipment, or dig through dense recipe books. (To be obvious, I mean it's time for you to make your own application!)

What do you want your application to do? Do you need Siri in your app? or integration with Messages?
You'll benefit from AdvancediOS: Volume 1
Do you want to use PDFs? or drag and drop? Look to Volume 2.
If you have an idea for a game, you'll want to learn about SpriteKit. You're in luck! @twostraws has a book about this! Dive Into SpriteKit

If you need practice with new tools and techniques, there are a few books for you as well.
I think I need more knowledge about XCode's processes for testing code. I've bought Testing Swift, but have read just the first chapter. I also bought Practical CoreData by Donny Wals. Excellent book.

Another technique book, Beyond Code, wil help you if you think you'll be working with teams of developers. This book covers source control with GIT, useful Unix commands, and agile project management techniques used by many companies.

If you think you need more practice before making your own application, Swift on Sundays might be a good book. You can follow along as @twostraws builds applications. But more importantly, you hear his thought process. How does he break a complex problem into smaller, solvable problems? Pay attention!

And, of course, take a look at Swift Coding Challenges. These are challenges similar to Gordon Ramsey's suprise ingredient challenges. Or Gordon's challenges to copy an existing dish without knowing any of the ingredients.

In HackingWithSwift+, @twostraws has a number of videos where he does just this! He recreates Apple applications using the basic knowledge shared in his HackingWithSwift courses. Copying an Apple application is a great way to continue to solidify your skills.

Good luck!

Please come back here and tell us about your path! What books are you reading next?

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.