TEAM LICENSES: Save money and learn new skills through a Hacking with Swift+ team license >>

SOLVED: Apple Books version "Hacking With MacOS"

Forums > Books

I am a beginner with programming in swift. A few years ago I bought the "Hacking with MacOS" from the Apple Books store. I bought it in 2021. In the meanwhile a lot has changed. For example now there is something like SwiftUI. And not all examples in the book seems to work anymore.

The examples I find on Paul's website are all ios examples (as far as I can see). However I want to learn it for MacOS and not ios.

However I have no idea if I need to buy the book again to get an updated version with SwiftUI examples. Or am I missing something on the apple book store? Or do I need to buy another book?

Thanks in advance.

Andre

Paul advertises free lifetime updates for his books, and says this applies to purchases from Gumroad and Apple's Book Store: https://www.hackingwithswift.com/update-policy

Like you, I purchased "Hacking with MacOS" before the SwiftUI edition was released. Although the SwiftUI Edition of this title is a separate book, I'm happy to report that Paul includes both the original AppKit and the new SwiftUI editions at no additional cost.

If you had bought the book through the Store link on this website, which links to Gumroad, you would have found all updates of both editions available for download in perpetuity, including newer versions as they are released. However, I don’t know how Apple's Book Store handles two books sold for a single price. Also, for books other than Paul Hudson's, I've found that Apple often fails to update a book when updates are released.

To replace your current AppKit edition with the latest version of both the AppKit and SwiftUI editions, I recommend you try the following: In the Books app, click the "3 dot" menu adjacent the Hacking book, select Remove, then select Delete.

Now search for the same book in the Apple Book Store. Because you already purchased it, the Buy button will show Get or Read instead of the price. Hopefully you will be able to get both the SwiftUI and AppKit editions of "Hacking with MacOS" this way.

If that doesn’t work, email Paul Hudson.

If you decide to buy any additional Hacking books in future, I encourage you to use the Store link on this website to buy through Gumroad instead of the Apple Book Store.

Thanks for the answer. I just bought the new book at the "Paul Hudson Book Store". I thought, what the hack. With 50% off I just buy this new edition. I support Paul in this way too.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by RevenueCat.

SPONSORED Take the pain out of configuring and testing your paywalls. RevenueCat's Paywalls allow you to remotely configure your entire paywall view without any code changes or app updates.

Learn more here

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Reply to this topic…

You need to create an account or log in to reply.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.