UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

From Zero to SwiftUI: How I Built My First App in 4 Months

Forums > App Announcements

I have always dreamed of learning Swift and creating apps for iOS, but I never found the motivation to do so. I was scared by the complexity and the learning curve of programming with UIKit and Storyboard. I thought they were too complicated and too boring for me.

But then I discovered SwiftUI, the new framework for building user interfaces for Apple platforms. I was captivated by its simplicity and elegance. I watched some videos and read some articles about it and I was blown away by what it could do. I decided to give it a shot and see if I could learn it and make something with it.

I set myself a goal: to build my first SwiftUI app in 4 months. I had no prior experience or knowledge of programming with Swift, so I started from zero. I downloaded Xcode and opened a new SwiftUI project.

I followed the "100 Days of SwiftUI" course, and I learned how to use SwiftUI's declarative syntax to create the user interface components, such as buttons, lists, text fields and navigation bars. I also learned how to use some of the built-in features of SwiftUI, such as animations, transitions, gestures and dark mode. This free course gave me everything that I needed to build a stunning app from scratch. This course was so good that I decided to buy other Swift books from the author. Thank you Paul for creating such a great course!

I decided to build a simple and elegant mood tracking app that syncs across all your iOS devices. I called it MoodUp. I wanted to make it easy and intuitive for users to track and analyze their moods anytime, anywhere.

I used CloudKit, a cloud service that provides database and asset storage for apps, to store and sync the mood data. I learned how to use CloudKit's APIs to create, update, delete and fetch records from the cloud database.

After 4 months of hard work, learning and fun, I finally finished my first SwiftUI app. I was proud of what I had achieved and eager to share it with the world. However, my app is still in pre-order mode and won't be available until July 7th. This is because I wanted to make sure that everything works smoothly and there are no major bugs or issues before releasing it to the public.

I submitted my app to the App Store for review and waited for approval.

A few days later, I received an email from Apple saying that my app was approved and ready for pre-order. I was overjoyed and excited with tears. I launched my app on the App Store and announced it here, hoping to get some attention and feedback from the community.

That's how I went from zero to SwiftUI and built my first app in 4 months. It was a challenging but rewarding journey that taught me a lot about SwiftUI, Swift, CloudKit and app development in general. I hope you enjoyed reading my story and maybe got inspired to start your own SwiftUI project.

If you want to check out my app, you can pre-order it for free from the App Store here:

https://apps.apple.com/app/moodup-breeze-mental-health/id6450100126

Please pre-order the app for free if you like it because as a small indie developer, I need your support.

Thank you for reading!

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Reply to this topic…

You need to create an account or log in to reply.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.