UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Laptop for Beginner Dev

Forums > 100 Days of SwiftUI

I'm new to Swift/SwiftUI and up until now, other than my iPhone, I've owned hardware only to support Windows-based development (I've done C# and ASP.NET work for years). Now, I want to start in on the 100 Days of SwiftUI course work and need iOS-based hardware.

What hardware do you recommend I buy for developing in iOS?

• It must be a laptop
  • I'm budget-conscious, so let's try to keep it reasonable
  • I want more than "just barely enough" computing capabilities, so let's not be too much on the cheap!
  • I intend to start developing lightweight apps after I've become productive with Swift/SwiftUI

Thanks

Whatever you choose I would look at refurbished laptops. You can get reasonably specced MacBook / MacBook Pro (previous models), for a more reasonable price.

If you work with cups of coffee / tea / other drinks on your desk, then I would also consider the extended protection from AppleCare+ ( I'm glad I did - personal experience).

Also think about having a local hard drive (for TimeMachine) and an offline source code store, such as GitHub, other stores exist if you prefer to use them instead.

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.