UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: Day 35: Feeding the Preview Provider

Forums > 100 Days of SwiftUI

I'm going nuts trying to figure out what my ContentView Preview Provider wnats from me. I'm sure it's simple, but... I do hope someone can help?

So in my ContentView I made a state variable called numPressed: Int.

In the Preview Provider, it demands that I feed in a value for numPressed -- except it won't take one. It says: "'ContentView' initializer is inaccessible due to 'private' protection level"

So, what the heck eh? I tried using a $, .constant(3), and similar monkey stuff, but I'm just clueless...

Show some code, please. It's very difficult to help when we can't see what you're working with.

Hi, Like @roosterboy said without the code it's hard to help but im going to take a shot in the dark and say it's because your declaring your var private, instead of

@State private var numPressed: Int

do

@State var numPressed: Int

If that's not it we need to see the code.

You should have a @State private var numPressed = 0 or use a @Binding if you are passing in a proprties that going to change or just a let if not

@Binding var numPressed: Int
struct ContentView_Previews: PreviewProvider {
    static var previews: some View {
        ContentView(numPressed: .constant(0))
    }
}

or

let numPressed: Int
struct ContentView_Previews: PreviewProvider {
    static var previews: some View {
        ContentView(numPressed: 0)
    }
}

Thank you all for the speedy replies! I tried each suggestion in turn.

NigelGee nailed it: I simply needed to set an initial value to my variable, not just its type. So this worked: @State private var numPressed = 0 ...but this didn't: @State private var numPressed: Int

Here is the working code:

struct ContentView: View { @State private var numPressed: Int = 3 <- That's all I needed to add was the = 3 !

var body: some View {
   Text("I got nothin'")
}

}

struct ContentView_Previews: PreviewProvider { static var previews: some View { ContentView() } }

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.