UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Day 32 - Customizing Animation - Why `opacity` is changing

Forums > 100 Days of SwiftUI

Hi,

I was following Customizing Animation tutorial. The code ran perfectly, but there is one thing I can not understand well. As animationAmount was changed to 2 inside onAppear() and I believed it was 2 forever. How could the transparency of stroken red circle be changing?

I have thinked about it for more than an hour and could not figure it out. Hope someone could help me. Really appreciate it!

struct ContentView: View {
    @State private var animationAmount: CGFloat = 1

var body: some View {
        Button("Tap Me") {
            // self.animationAmount += 1
        }
        .padding(40)
        .background(Color.red)
        .foregroundColor(.white)
        .clipShape(Circle())
        .overlay(
            Circle()
                .stroke(Color.red)
                .scaleEffect(animationAmount)
                .opacity(Double(2 - animationAmount))
                .animation(
                    Animation.easeOut(duration: 1)
                        .repeatForever(autoreverses: false)
                )
        )
        .onAppear {
            self.animationAmount = 2
        }
    }
}

Edited: added State variable to make the code complete

Hey, just learning the SwiftUI myself.. but the first thing I noticed is that you have no state set up to see a change. Also, the .OnAppear really won't have any effect here except at setup. I was playing with the code.. this is what I tried, and it gives me something that works... Try this, see if it helps

struct ContentView: View { @State var animationAmount = 0.0 var body: some View { Button("Tap Me") { self.animationAmount += 0.25 if (self.animationAmount > 2.0 ) { self.animationAmount = 0.0 } } .padding(40) .background(Color.red) .foregroundColor(.white) .clipShape(Circle()) .overlay( Circle() .stroke(Color.blue) .scaleEffect(CGSize(width: Double(animationAmount), height: Double(animationAmount)), anchor:.center) .opacity(Double(2 - animationAmount)) .animation( Animation.easeOut(duration: 1) .repeatForever(autoreverses: false) ) ) // .onAppear { // if (self.animationAmount > 2.0 ) { // self.animationAmount = 0.0 // } // } } }

Not sure about this mark down.. maybe this will be better.

struct ContentView: View {
    @State var animationAmount = 0.0
    var body: some View {
        Button("Tap Me") {
            self.animationAmount += 0.25
            if (self.animationAmount > 2.0 ) {
                self.animationAmount = 0.0
            }
        }
        .padding(40)
        .background(Color.red)
        .foregroundColor(.white)
        .clipShape(Circle())
        .overlay(
            Circle()
                .stroke(Color.blue)
                .scaleEffect(CGSize(width: Double(animationAmount), height: Double(animationAmount)), anchor:.center)
                .opacity(Double(2 - animationAmount))
                .animation(
                    Animation.easeOut(duration: 1)
                        .repeatForever(autoreverses: false)
                )
        )
//        .onAppear {
//            if (self.animationAmount > 2.0 ) {
//                self.animationAmount = 0.0
//            }
//        }
    }
}

Hi @numerics,

Extreamly appreciate your reply!

Your solution is kind of different from what is expected in the tutorial. I don't know how to upload a screen record, but you could copy my code into Xcode and run to take a look. (I have edited my post so State variable is included now.)

Look carefully at the circle around the button. You do not need to click, but the transparency is changing.

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.