UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Xcode resizing canvas when moving between files

Forums > SwiftUI

Hi there,

Has anyone else had the issue when moving between files (either by the horizontal bar at the top of the screen or the list on the left navigation menu) that the canvas gets resized?

I find that the canvas is expanded taking up 85% of the screen width within Xcode leaving the window with the code being squished with only about 12 characters of text per line being able to be displayed.

I know that I can pin the canvas, but I want the canvas to display the view for the current swift file I am editing.

It's not preventing me from coding, it just means that around 40% of the time when I change between swift files, I need to resize the canvas window which is quite frustrating.

Many thanks in advance!

Small update:

It seems to only occur when I change from a swift file to a swift view file...

Am I missing something in the settings?

Amazing that this is the top result on Google for an incredibly frusting problem when using Xcode with the canvas open.

It's to a point of frustrating where I'm considering going the screen automation route with something like Keyboard Maestro to figure out a solution to automate resizing it back the way it should be!

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.