UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: Xcode: Inspecting view layout not visible

Forums > SwiftUI

Hey all,

this might be a stupid question ... watching Paul's videos, I've noticed whenever he selects a View in the source code, it will draw a rectangle around the view in the canvas / preview.

For me, this isn't the case. I might have turned it off at some point, but I can't find where to turn it back on again. Could anyone drop me a hint please?

Thanks in advance!

@Loradim is adrift in an ocean of options:

[...snip...] but I can't find where to turn Canvas selectable mode on.....

There are three buttons in the lower left leading corner of the canvas.

One is the traditional Play button which allows the canvas to be Live.
Live means sliders slide, toggles tog, and buttons butt.

The second looks like a wee mouse arrow. This is Play button's sister, Selectable. The third button, Variants, isn't part of this tutorial.

If you're keen to code like @twoStraws and have the graphical view selected when you click view code you'll need to first change options. Cool trick: if you select the object in the canvas, it will highlight the code in the editor. Sweet Irn Bru, that's nice.

Keep Coding!

Speaking of oceans, in the English phrase Pacific Ocean, all three Cs are pronouced differently. You just tried it, didn't you?

@Obelix

I feel a bit dumb now, thank you again for helping me out.

Speaking of oceans, in the English phrase Pacific Ocean, all three Cs are pronouced differently. You just tried it, didn't you?

Yes, I did.

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.