UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: Where to start?

Forums > SwiftUI

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to give me a few pointers on where to start creating a layout similar to an iMesssage layout, so far I have every text item in a VStack and this is itself contained an outer VStack within a ScrollView.

I'm not looking for any code as such just some useful pointers on how best to achieve the look I’m after as when I try using frames etc I can never get any of my single VStack's to align to the left and I have realised this is because my outer "container" VStack is only ever as big as my biggest inner VStack thus meaning I am not approaching it in the right way, I've researched Geometry Views but I’m not even sure if that’s the correct way to go.

If anyone could offer any help it would be appreciated, this isn't for any specific app I’m creating this is just for my own personal learning project to recreate the iMessage app.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Where do you start? Answer: HackingWithSwift.com!

You're in the right place!

Have you watched @twostraws videos where he rebuilds common Apple applications? Take a look at these videos that @twostraws created:

Recreating Applications

Make note of his approach to recreating these applications. My recommendation is to get a few sheets of paper to draw simple ideas. Then break the complex iMessage application down into smaller component parts. Each component should be on a separate piece of paper. Label each piece, each field, each button.

Spend a few evenings just designing the simple parts in XCode. Each should be in its own structure. Each should be in its own code file. Then you can start to assemble the parts into larger parts. Keep at this until you assemble the application in your mind.

Thank you for pointing this out for me Obelix, I had totally missed this series!

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.