UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Ultra beginner question.. which material to start with?

Forums > SwiftUI

Greetings,

I picked up Paul's Swift Power Pack and being totally new to Swift am a little confused as to where to start first. Specifically, I now know that SwiftUI is probably the best place to start, and have watched Paul's "How to become an iOS developer in 2021" but the presence of his free series, 100 days of SwiftUI is nagging at me. I suppose I can just start with both and figure this out but thought to check in here. Is "Hacking with iOS: SwiftUI Edition basically the same as 100 Days of SwiftUI? Or do they serve slighly different purposes? I don't want to fall for shiny object syndrome and just confuse myself. Can I just take off with the book material, or should I be supplimenting videos as well, I can see the Power Pack came with a bunch of videoes too. Any clarifications really appreciated. Pretty new to programming, just recently dabbled in some html and python before deciding on Swift.

Update: The video files supplied with Power Pack mirror the lessons/projects in both editions. Still curious what the differences are between Paul's free lesson track and the Power Pack, but am guessing they're probably essentially the same?

Sorry to bug you guys about this, but obviously I'm missing something. I bought the power pack thinking this was intended for entry level learning, and quickly in exercise 1 "WeSplit" of Hacking with iOS: SwiftUI Edition I'm sensing there's something amiss. Take for example this sentence, "If you think back to when you learned about structs, that means it’s immutable – we can’t change its values freely."

When did we learn about structs? I was wondering what a struct was when Paul first started the chapter and glossed over it. If anyone can give me a signal about where a beginner is actually supposed to start, I'd be super grateful. Is it with 100 Days of SwiftUI? Is it some other Pack, I'm fine with going the non-free route.

Ugh.. I may as well continue posting in case anyone else ends up being as confused as I was. Digging around the site clarifies this to a degree:

Hacking with Swift (retitled to Hacking with iOS) is listed as Beginner to Intermediate: https://www.hackingwithswift.com/faq

On it's own product page, Hacking with iOS further claims to be suitable for someone completely new to Swift, and I'll try not to take that personally as I work through 100 Days of SwiftUI. Some people are smarter than others ;-) I'll definitely return to it as I get my bearings.

One note of continued confusion however is why the Power Pack and Hacking ith iOS isn't mentioned in the epilogue to 100 Days. https://www.hackingwithswift.com/100/swiftui/101 Just some feeback if that's useful.

Ok.. final update xD Reviewing all the material from the Power Pack and comparing with 100 Days, it's probably best to just use the Hacking with iOS: UIkit Edition as the basis for beginner learning. It has an expanded Introductory section that explains fundementals, whereas the SwiftUI Edition doesn't. Hope this helps someone, or was at least entertaining. ;-)

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.