UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

OnDisappear called when picker is active

Forums > SwiftUI

Hello guys!

I have a view with a viewModel and I have a save function in the viewModel that I linked to the view .onDisppear Modifier. When I have this setup, if I have a navigation link or a picker whos style is a navagiation link, the navigation link immediatly pop pack to it's parent view. After a lot of searching, I found that the cause of that is that the .OnDisappear is called when we navigate further, so the data changes and the view redraw itself. In the case of the NavigationLink I could hack around it and set its isActive to a property in the model and set it back to false when the inner view disAppear, so then when I call the save function I check that all the active properties are false then save, but in Picker we don't have the option of settings if it's active or not. What would you guys recomend to do to go around that?

here is my code a little bit simplified because of the linking with CoreData:

ViewModel:

extension EditReminderView {
    class ViewModel: ObservableObject {
        @Published var weekDays: [WeeklyReminder] = []
        @Published var reminderType = "daily"

func save() {
            // here I update my weekdays for example
        }
    }
}

Then In the view

struct EditReminderView: View {
    @StateObject private var viewModel: ViewModel()

var body: some View {
          NavigationView {
            Form {
                Picker("", selection: $reminderType) {
                  Text("Daily").tag("daily")
                  Text("Weekly).tag(weekly)
            }

ForEach(viewModel.weekDays.indices, id: \.self) { index in
                NavigationLink {
                    WeeklySingleDayEditView(weekday: $viewModel.weekDays[index])
                } label: {
                    VStack(alignment: .leading) {
                        Text(viewModel.weekDays[index].dayOfTheWeekStr)
                        ScrollView(.horizontal) {
                            HStack {
                                ForEach(viewModel.weekDays[index].times.indices, id: \.self) { index2 in
                                    SmallCardView(string: viewModel.weekDays[index].times[index2])
                                }
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
            .onDelete(perform: delete)
            }
            ..onDisappear(perform: viewModel.save)
          }
        }
    }

Now if I want to change the reminderType I would have to go to a navigation link to choose from the options, when the picker shows it imeddiatly disappears. Same for the navigation links unless I have other condition in my save function to make sure that no navigation link is active.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.