UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: New Mac mini

Forums > SwiftUI

has anyone bought the new mac mini? i was wondering how good it would be for SwiftUI development, so what spec did you get?

The only spec you get to choose is storage: 256 GB v/s 512 GB.

Is there a difference in Xcode performance? yes. I don't have one myself, but I have done a quick test, by downloading one of my projects on it and testing that way. So, yes, autocomplete showing much faster, and build times "feeling" faster.

I did not do any thorough testing, but people seem to be happy with it so far.

Is it worth the upgrade? I would say if your current mac mini is a couple years old, and you are looking for an upgrade anyway, then yea, it might be worth it.

Otherwise, and this is a personal opinion, I would rather wait for the next generation of chips. My mac mini is just about 1 year old now, and while it can be slow at times, I don't have deadlines to worry about. I just use it for coding.

Thanks Marcus, my Mac Mini is a 2012, with 16Gb ram and a 500Gb SSD. As such its fine for the small developments I do, but it is time for a new one. I will probably go for the maxed out new Mac Mini, but just wanted to be sure before I go off and order it.

I would recommend not getting the max'ed out mini. That is $200. For a few dollars more you can get an external 1T drive. Then keep only system etc on the internal, and every thing else external. You will not feel any difference. I keep my projects on external 1T drives and it works fine.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.