UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

NavigationSplitView Not Working

Forums > SwiftUI

Good morning all,

I am working on one of my programs that I had setup under the old NavigationView and was using a navigation style of stack. I am trying to make it work with the new NavigationSplitView so I can better utilize the screen realestate. I am getting this error and not sure why?

error build: Initializer 'init(_:rowContent:)' requires that '[Program]' conform to 'Identifiable'

I am having some trouble and I a don't know why? Under the current stack when I display the programs its sectioning them out under Scheduled & Completed. Heres the code that I use:

Sectioning what comes back from this function is an [[Program]]

func sectionedPrograms(_ searchString: String, howManyToShow: Int) -> [[Program]] {
        // Reduce by filtering on searchTerm
        let filteredList = programs.filter { searchString.appearsIn($0.name) || searchString.appearsIn($0.date.dateText(style: .medium)) }

// Separate out by statusText
        let dictionaryByStatus = Dictionary(grouping: filteredList, by: { $0.statusText })

// Return the array of dictionary entries. There will be two. If both are nil, the result
        // is an empty list - and it should be.
        if let completedPrograms = dictionaryByStatus[Status.completed] {
            // If we are here then we are returning only the first howManyCompletedProgramsToShow
            let programs = Array(completedPrograms.prefix(howManyToShow))
            return [dictionaryByStatus[Status.scheduled], programs].compactMap { $0 }
        }

return [dictionaryByStatus[Status.scheduled]].compactMap { $0 }
    }

View Code

NavigationSplitView {
            GeometryReader { geo in
                ZStack {
                    VStack {
                        if dataManager.programs.isEmpty {
                            // This displays a message to user informing them that
                            // there are no programs created.
                            NoProgramsView()
                        } else {
                            // This displays a list of all programs from CoreData
                            List(dataManager.sectionedPrograms(searchTerm, howManyToShow: howManyCompletedProgramsToShow)) { section in
                                Section(header: SectionHeaderView(headerName: section[0].statusText)) {
                                    List(section, selection: $selectedProgram) { program in
                                        ProgramsRowView(program: program)
                                    }
                                }
                            }
                        }
                    } // End of VStack

// Places a floating action button in the bottom right of the view
                    VStack {
                        Spacer()
                        CreateNewProgramActionButton(action: { showAddNewProgram.toggle() }, proxy: geo)
                    } // End of VStack
                } // End of ZStack
                .navigationTitle(.nbProgramsViewTitle)
                .toolbar {
                    ToolbarItem(placement: .navigationBarTrailing) {
                        returnNavBarItems()
                    }
                }
                .fullScreenCover(isPresented: $showAddNewProgram, onDismiss: {
                    dataManager.save()
                }) {
                    NavigationStack {
                        AddNewProgramView(dataManager: dataManager)
                            .environmentObject(dataManager)
                            .interactiveDismissDisabled()
                    }
                }
            } // End of GEO Reader
        } detail: {
            if let program = selectedProgram {
                ModifyExistingProgramView(program: program, dataManager: dataManager)
            }
        }

I would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone has.

Thanks Taz

TAKE YOUR SKILLS TO THE NEXT LEVEL If you like Hacking with Swift, you'll love Hacking with Swift+ – it's my premium service where you can learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI, functional programming, algorithms, and more. Plus it comes with stacks of benefits, including monthly live streams, downloadable projects, a 20% discount on all books, and free gifts!

Find out more

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.