UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Little letters in Xcode 14 autocomplete

Forums > SwiftUI

Has anyone figured out what the little letters mean alongside the autocomplete options that popup when you start typing in xcode?

For example when i start typing Rectang.... You see a purple colored "S", a blue "I" and so on...

What do the colors and letters correpond to?!

Thanks in advance :)

This may not be a complete list, but covers a lot of them. Intellisense / Code Sense

If you cannot access the Apple's Developer website, here are the two related StackOverflow questions and replies. Intellisense 1

Intellisense 2

thanks, but what's the letter i for example? unfortunately either all of these articles are outdated or ommiting this..

@geoff  

The ones labeled with the capital letter "i" all look like initializers to me.

Where do you see ones with I? All the initializers I see have an M for method. Screenshots would be nice.

Note that I'm still on Xcode 13 so perhaps there are new icons in Xcode 14 that I'm not seeing.

Try rectangle()

Re: upload a screenshot, the forum is kinda confusing...When i press the photo upload button it opens a URL prompt? i have to self host and provide the forum a URL?

@geoff  

@roosterboy I'm pretty sure it is an XCode 14 thing.

If you slow down https://youtu.be/62agNUDHh3U?t=137 to 0.25 speed and then pause, you can clearly see several capital I when Paul is typing List and again at 2:19 for Text. This series of videos uses XCode 14.

An earlier video which uses XCode 13, e.g. https://youtu.be/L4nYeaOcHZU?t=103 shows the M as you point out as Paul is typing NavigationView.

It's just easier to find YT videos rather than go find an image hosting service to put screenshots :)

@JWegener:

Re: upload a screenshot, the forum is kinda confusing...When i press the photo upload button it opens a URL prompt? i have to self host and provide the forum a URL?

How to add a screenshot

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by RevenueCat

SPONSORED Take the pain out of configuring and testing your paywalls. RevenueCat's Paywalls allow you to remotely configure your entire paywall view without any code changes or app updates.

Learn more here

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.