UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Is there a way to hide the search bar after it's been activated?

Forums > SwiftUI

With the code below, from day 96, Paul shows us how to implement search capabilities on a view. I like the way it hides the search bar until you pull down the list. My question is this: Is there a way to hide the search bar again after it's been activated?

struct ContentView: View {
    @State private var searchText = ""
    let allNames = ["Subh", "Vina", "Melvin", "Sefanie"]
    var body: some View {
        NavigationView {
            List(filteredNames, id: \.self) { name in
                Text(name)
            }
            .searchable(text: $searchText, prompt: "Look for something")
            .navigationTitle("Searching")
        }
    }

var filteredNames: [String] {
        if searchText.isEmpty {
            return allNames
        } else {
            return allNames.filter { $0.localizedCaseInsensitiveContains(searchText) }
        }
    }
}

I'm struggling with the same problem and I strongly believe that the behavior changed recently. I have in mind, that the search bar disappeared as soon as you started to scroll and only came back, when you pulled again - at least when it was empty.

What you could try (but it doesn't fix it for me, currently on iOS 16), is to write:

.searchable(text: $searchText, placement: .navigationBarDrawer(displayMode: .automatic), prompt: "Look for something")

The display mode .automatic is described as:

Allow the search field to be collapsed as the user scrolls their content.

However for me it has the same result as with .always: it's always shown above the list. Update: .always also keeps it in the navigation bar when you scroll down. So this answer doesn't help you. I was also confused.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.