UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Implementing a Ratings View (using Core Data)

Forums > SwiftUI

What is the best way to monitor, calculate and display users' ratings? In my case, I want to create a star-based system that will allow users to rate a real-world landmark. Never having done this, and not finding a tutorial to explain how, I figured each rating would be entered into CloudKit / Core Data. Then, for each landmark, a fetch request could be made. The average would then be calculated. Here's the relevant code that I have been trying. Note that I am passing in the name of the specific landmark as a string (which is used as in a predicate of the fetch method):

var landmark: Landmark
let fetchRequest = Rating.fetchRequestForLandmark(landmark: landmark.name)
    var ratings: FetchedResults<Rating> {
            fetchRequest.wrappedValue
    }
        var sum: Int32 {
            ratings.map { $0.rating }.reduce(0, +)
        }
        var stars : Int32 {
            if (ratings.count > 0) {
                return sum / Int32(ratings.count)
            } else {
                return 0
            }
        }

The warning I get is:

Cannot use instance member ‘landmark’ within property initializer; property initializers run before ‘self’ is available

I've tried to initalize the landmark object before accessing it’s name property, but I that didn't work either. Then, on a suggestion I received over at Stack Overflow, I tried wrapping the fetch in a calculated property like this:

var caluculation : (sum: Int, stars: Int) {
    let fetchRequest = Rating.fetchRequestForLandmark(landmark: landmark.name)
    var ratings: FetchedResults<Rating> {
        fetchRequest.wrappedValue
    }
        if (ratings.count > 0) {
            print("Ratings count is greater than zero")
            let sum = ratings.map { $0.rating }.reduce(0, +)
            let stars = sum / Int32(ratings.count)

return (sum: Int(sum), stars: Int(stars))

} else {
            print("ratings count not greater than zero")
            return (sum: 0 , stars: 0)
        }
    }

The warning goes away, and the build succeeds; however, the print statements tell me that the fetch is returning up empty (ratings.count is always 0), even when I know there is data there. If anyone can help me fix this code, or guide me to a good tutorial or suggest a different approach, I will be very, very grateful. Thanks!

TAKE YOUR SKILLS TO THE NEXT LEVEL If you like Hacking with Swift, you'll love Hacking with Swift+ – it's my premium service where you can learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI, functional programming, algorithms, and more. Plus it comes with stacks of benefits, including monthly live streams, downloadable projects, a 20% discount on all books, and free gifts!

Find out more

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.