UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Drop Cap character text display (text size)

Forums > SwiftUI

@Bert  

I am trying to display some text using a drop cap character (first character being bigger than the rest of the text).

My initial idea was to build this up as follows (pseudo code):

VStack { HStack { DropCapCharacter() FirstFewLinesOfText() } RestOfText() }

This is what I have now... https://pasteboard.co/JpuY3d3.png

If I want to do it this way I would need to be able to calculate how much text would go into the area right of the dropcap character. As far as I can see I need to know how much space I have available (I can do that I think) but I would also need to know how much text I can fit in that area. Does anybody know how I can calculate the amount of characters that would fit in an arbitrary textbox?

Much appreciated.

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.