UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: Default values -- CloudKit and CoreData

Forums > SwiftUI

Hi,

I decided to add CloudKit support to my app to let my CoreData model be kept in sync and also allow some future enhancements. I've noted that as soon as I ticked the 'CloudKit' checkbox on my project; I got loads of errors around my CoreData model.

Things like; xxx.id or xxx.name must have a default value.

Also; a few of the CoreData relationships I had setup were non-optional, and this was flagged as not being possible. Can I check --- is this normal? That I have to give every model field a default value? I'm not even sure how I can do that with UUID fields?

hi Pete,

i remember that i ran into similar problems with switching NSPersistentContainer to NSPersistentCloudKitContainer, and yes, you've found two of (at least) three things that must be true to move to the cloud:

• Attributes that are intended to be optional in Core Data must be optional (you can't write your own @NSManaged var name: String definition, which XCode would by default generate to be of type String?).
  • Attributes that Core Data expects to be non-optional, such as Integer16 and Boolean and Double, must always have a default value. for a Date or a UUID, which come across in Swift to be of type Date? and UUID?, just leave the Default button unchecked in the model editor.
  • Relationships must be unordered (so, an NSSet? and not an NSOrderedSet?). if you have an ordered relationship, you'll have to keep the order somewhere else (possibly as an [Int] in one of the entities, or in another entity whose purpose is to track order in the relationship).

hope that helps,

DMG

Thanks; it's a tad disappointing that this disparity exists but at least I know for sure.

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.