UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Core Data saving Object's relationship to existing Object

Forums > SwiftUI

In Paul's video, he creates a new Origin each time the save button is pressed, but how do you check to see if that Origin already exists and save that relationship instead?

let newTodo = Todo(context: viewContext)
                        newTodo.id = UUID()
                        newTodo.title = title
                        newTodo.dueDate = dueDate
                        newTodo.category = // I don't want to always make a new category... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1oWprQqLJY&t=483s

Hi, Does it really create a new origin, or is that what you see in the GUI?

Running through the Candy/Country example I had the 'UK' 3 times as separate 'origins', but when I looked directly in the database that CoreDate had created there was only 1 record of the 'UK'

In Persistance.swift in the init method after the container is set up add the line

container.viewContext.mergePolicy = NSMergeByPropertyObjectTrumpMergePolicy

This may solve the problem

@twostraws is just demonstrating a technique here. Of course creating a new country for each candy bar you add is redundant. You don't need to have Switzerland in your database six or seven times. Once you create ONE Switzerland record, you should use this for any and all candy bars that originated in Suisse! This is why he discusses the one-to-many relationship.

So why then? WHY does he create several UK origin entities in the video.

He is doing this to demonstrate a feature of CoreData that actually PREVENTS you from creating duplicate country entities.

Go back to 2:37 in the video. At this point, @twostraws if asking you to ADD a constraint to the Countries entity. You are asked to add shortName to the contraints container and save your model. This constraint tells CoreData that no matter how many times you try to create a country with the shortName of "UK", CoreData is instructed to only save it once, and ignore all other attempts.

So your question is valid. You ask:

How do you check to see if Origin already exists?

This is a GREAT question. It shows you're looking to reduce inefficiencies in your code! Nice!

Off the top of my head, I might consider a function in a Countries extention. You would provide the function with a country shortName. The code would create a fetch request and return the full name, if found. Otherwise, it might return nil.

If it returns a nil, this means the country shortName (and its full name) are not in CoreData. This might clue you in that you should create one.

Update: Last night, with visions of sugar plums dancing in my head, I remembered a lecture from another great Swift professor named Paul. If you're not aware, please use the Google and seek knowledge of CS193p. Paul Hegarty teaches a semester course in Swift development at Stanford University. Lecture 12 is about CoreData. In this lecture @39:20 he starts writing a function to find an airport code in Core Data. If the code is found, fine! Otherwise, the function creates a new airport code. Perhaps this will help update your solution?

CS193p: Lecture 12: Core Data

Please return and let everyone know how you solved this! We want you to share what you've learned!

@Obelix Thanks, I see the temporary solution to this is to set the merge policy which I skipped and didn't see in that exact video. The merge policy I've been told is not supported this way for CloudKit which brings a new problem at some point once I implement it.

container.viewContext.mergePolicy = NSMergeByPropertyObjectTrumpMergePolicy

I will read more about solutions and eagerly looking for the best way to go about this as this seems like a very popular issue I'd imagine for any app so there must be something.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.