UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Converting View to UIImage problem: core data context loses persistent store coordinator

Forums > SwiftUI

I'm working on a SwiftUI app that uses core data. I'd like to use Paul's .snapshot extension to turn a specific view into an image. However, the resulting image doesn't have any content, and I get a purple run-time warning "Context in environment is not connected to a persistent store coordinator: <NSManagedObjectContext: 0x600000a9e3c0>"

Paul's snapshot extension:

extension View {
    func snapshot() -> UIImage {
        let controller = UIHostingController(rootView: self)
        let view = controller.view

let targetSize = controller.view.intrinsicContentSize
        view?.bounds = CGRect(origin: .zero, size: targetSize)
        view?.backgroundColor = .clear

let renderer = UIGraphicsImageRenderer(size: targetSize)

return renderer.image { _ in
            view?.drawHierarchy(in: controller.view.bounds, afterScreenUpdates: true)
        }
    }
}

The runtime warning is on the controller.view.intrinsicContentSize line.

I've done the 100 Days of SwiftUI, but not Swift, so I've got no familiarity with UIKit. As I read what's happening, when I create a new UIHostingController it appears to keep the managed object context, but that context loses reference to the NSPersistentContainer.

The snapshot extension works fine for me if I use it with any other view that doesn't include core data, so I know Paul's code is fine. Can anyone help me understand how to fix this? I think I want to create a UIHostingController with it's own NSPersistentContainer, but maybe someone fluent in UIKit can understand what's going wrong.

I've tried this:

let context = PersistenceController.shared.container.viewContext
        let rootView = self
            .environment(\.managedObjectContext, context)

But then I get a runtime error because the rootView seems to have lost the rest of the environmentObjects. Does creating a UIHostingController wipe out the environment and environmentObjects?

I've also tried the newer ImageRenderer in iOS16, and I get the same runtime warning that "Context in environment is not connected to a persistent store coordinator"

extension View {
    @MainActor
    func snapshot() -> UIImage {
        if #available(iOS 16.0, *) {
            let renderer = ImageRenderer(content: self)
            return renderer.uiImage!
        } else {
            return UIImage(systemName: "questionark")!
        }
    }
}

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by RevenueCat

SPONSORED Take the pain out of configuring and testing your paywalls. RevenueCat's Paywalls allow you to remotely configure your entire paywall view without any code changes or app updates.

Learn more here

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.