UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

A question about MVVM and CoreData

Forums > SwiftUI

Hello everyone. I have a question related to MVVM and CoreData. I previously called/updated coredata entities inside Views, but soon realised that the code was getting messy. So I decided to use MVVM to implement a clean architecture. After watching a couple of tutorials, I made a sample model for one of my entities. I am not sure whether I am doing this in the right way or not. The code sample works perfectly. I used this as a Model and I used a ModelView of the View to call this. May you be able to check this code and tell me what can be improved, please? The code is self-explanatory, but if you need more information, please ask. (I am new to Swift)

Also, if the entity has a large amount of data, calling the read function within the Init() is not efficient. In that case, I assume the best thing to do is the use of NSPredicate along with the relevant parameters to the project.

import Foundation
import CoreData

class DogsModel: ObservableObject {

static let dogsModel = DogsModel()

@Published var dogs: [Dogs] = []
    let context = PersistenceController.shared.container.viewContext

init() {
        readRecords()
    }

func readRecords() {
        let request = NSFetchRequest<Dogs>(entityName: "Dogs")
        DispatchQueue.main.async {
            do {
                self.dogs = try self.context.fetch(request)
            }
            catch let error {
                print("Error fetching results \(error)")
            }
        }
    }

func writeRecords(name:String, age:Int, breed:String) {
        let newDog = Dogs(context: context)
        newDog.uuid = UUID()
        newDog.name = name
        newDog.age = age
        newDog.breed = breed
        PersistenceController.shared.save()
        self.readRecords()
    }

func updateRecords(record: Dogs, name:String, age:Int, breed:String) {
        record.name = name
        record.age = age
        record.breed = breed
        self.readRecords()
    }

func deleteRecords(record: Dogs) {
        PersistenceController.shared.delete(record)
        self.readRecords()
    }
}

hi,

apart from some naming issues (e.g., a Dogs object in Core Data represents a single dog, and writeRecords simply adds one new dog to the database), you've got the bones of what you're doing pretty much right.

my suggestions would be a slight rewrite of write, update, and delete, plus removing the need to keep re-reading the data from Core Data, would be

func addNewDog(name: String, age: Int, breed: String) {
        let newDog = Dogs(context: context)
        newDog.uuid = UUID()
        newDog.name = name
        newDog.age = age
        newDog.breed = breed
        //self.readRecords() ... there's no need to re-read the entire array here
        dogs.append(newDog)  // just add this to your view model's array
    }

func update(dog: Dogs, name: String, age: Int, breed: String) {
        // first, you will be changing some element of the dogs array, so this 
        // will tell any observer that the content of the @Published dogs array 
        // has changed.  this is required, because changing properties of one of the dogs in the
        // array does not change the array of dogs, which contains class object references
        objectWillChange.send() 
        dog.name = name
        dog.age = age
        dog.breed = breed
    }

func delete(dog: Dogs) {
        dogs.removeAll(where: { $0.uuid == dog.uuid }) // remove by checking the uuid field
        PersistenceController.shared.delete(dog)
    }

without knowing what else you're doing in the app, this will probably work for you as long as all CRUD operations go through the view model.

however, if you ever use NSPersistentCloudKitContainer to share data across personal devices (which implies some cloud syncing happening in the background), or if your app has other views where you make changes to dogs in the database while the View associated with your view model is still alive in SwiftUI, this view model will not see external changes.

hope that helps,

DMG

Thanks @delawaremathguy. Your answer helped a log.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by RevenueCat

SPONSORED Take the pain out of configuring and testing your paywalls. RevenueCat's Paywalls allow you to remotely configure your entire paywall view without any code changes or app updates.

Learn more here

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.