UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: Would an app developed with ios 15.2 sdk always work on newer ioses, like 15.5

Forums > Swift

I have

1. an 8-year-old MacBook that can support up to 13.2.1 xcode + ios 15.2 sdk.
  2. an app in Swift 5.5.2.

My phone updated itself recently and now it's 15.5. The app I built with 15.2 sdk was ok with the new ios.

I don't know much about how backward compatibility works in ios.

Can I expect a swift 5.5.2 app built on an old ios to run ok in later ones, for versions like ios 16.x, 17.x, ...?

Thanks.

There are no guarantees, but your app should run on iOS 16.

A few years ago Apple stopped supporting 32-bit apps on iOS so newer versions of iOS couldn't run old, 32-bit apps. Apple would have to do something similar in a future version of iOS for your app to stop working on newer versions of iOS.

The bigger concern for the long-term future of your app is Apple removing your app from the App Store if it hasn't been updated in years. That would be more likely to occur than your app not running in a future version of iOS. But if you recently updated the app, you would be good for 2+ years so you would have time to get a new Mac and update the app.

Apple would have to do something similar in a future version of iOS for your app to stop working on newer versions of iOS.

So unless there is a big announcement, old apps (old swift, old sdk) shall continue to work on a new ios.

The bigger concern for the long-term future of your app is Apple removing your app from the App Store if it hasn't been updated in years.

Indeed, I have a few apps I purchased some time back. They run fine on new ipad os but I just can't find them any more in app store.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by RevenueCat

SPONSORED Take the pain out of configuring and testing your paywalls. RevenueCat's Paywalls allow you to remotely configure your entire paywall view without any code changes or app updates.

Learn more here

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.