UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: Transitioning from Command Line Tool -> iOS app: Using viewModel to communicate between views

Forums > Swift

I'm very grateful for all the help that this friendly community has provided me over the past few weeks! I think it is time to start transitioning my employee-promotion project from a Command Line Tool project to an iOS app project.

Here is the GitHub repository which contains both the working Command Line Tool and my iOS app framework.

Specific challenge to overcome: learn what coding principle is appropriate to apply to the ForEach loop in the Results tab of the iOS app.

In Command Line Tool, the following code provided print results showing promotions and income changes:

var charlotte = Employee("Charlotte Grote", birthdate: birthdate, hiredate: hiredate, retirementAge: 65, department: .other("Hospitality"), monthlyHoursWorked: 160, regularPayRateIncreases: true, regularPayRateIncreasePercentage: 4, regularPayRateIncreaseYearInterval: 4)
//give our employee some work history
//months in Hospitality
charlotte.work(months: firstDeptMonths)
//ohh, a promotion!
charlotte.promote(to: .sales)
//months in Sales
charlotte.work(months: secondDeptMonths)
//another promotion. way to go, Charlotte!
charlotte.promote(to: .management)
//months in Management
charlotte.work(months: thirdDeptMonths)
//another promotion. way to go, Charlotte!
charlotte.promote(to: .seniorManagement)
//months in Senior Management
charlotte.work(months: fourthDeptMonths)
printYearlyDepartmentsAndEarnings(charlotte.yearlyDepartmentsEarnings())

In my iOS app framework I have a ProfileFormView which enables the user to select their current department, monthly hours , etc. I have a ResultsView where I want to show the results. And I have a viewModel which should contain the back-end communication/formulae between the two.

What I don't know is how to translate the above Command Line Tool code into the viewModel in a package that is readable by the ForEach loop of the ResultsView.

My current ResultsView also contains a struct of SampleData expressly for the purpose of showing how I would like the true user data to be displayed.

In the past I've used a computed property array but that was burdensome and massive. I'm hoping y'all could point me in the direction toward a coding principle that facilitates a more streamlined process. Perhaps provide an example I could replicate.

I have made some progress but still need help. My GitHub repository is updated with new Employee model and EmployeeViewModel

I'm having difficulty finding the right place to put my retireDate constant. Here is the EmployeeViewModel code:

class EmployeeViewModel: ObservableObject {

@Published var userData: Employee =
    Employee("Charlotte Grote", 
    birthdate: DateComponents(calendar: .current, year: 1965, month: 7, day: 20).date!, 
    hiredate: DateComponents(calendar: .current, year: 2021, month: 12, day: 28).date!, 
    yearGroup: 1, retirementAge: 65, department: .other("Hospitality"), 
    monthlyHoursWorked: 160, 
    planningToPromote1: true, 
    planningToPromote2: false, 
    planningToPromote3: false, 
    planningToPromote4: false, 
    promotion1Date: DateComponents(calendar: .current, year: 2023, month: 12, day: 28).date!, 
    promotion2Date: DateComponents(calendar: .current, year: 2025, month: 6, day: 28).date!, 
    promotion3Date: DateComponents(calendar: .current, year: 2026, month: 12, day: 28).date!, 
    regularPayRateIncreases: true, 
    regularPayRateIncreasePercentage: 4, 
    regularPayRateIncreaseYearInterval: 4)

var firstDeptMonths: Int { Calendar.current.dateComponents([.month], from: userData.hiredate, to: userData.promotion1Date).month! }
    var secondDeptMonths: Int { Calendar.current.dateComponents([.month], from: userData.promotion1Date, to: userData.promotion2Date).month! }
    var thirdDeptMonths: Int { Calendar.current.dateComponents([.month], from: userData.promotion2Date, to: userData.promotion3Date).month! }
    let retireDate = Calendar.current.date(byAdding: .year, value: userData.retirementAge, to: userData.birthdate)!  //2 errors here
    var fourthDeptMonths: Int { Calendar.current.dateComponents([.month], from: userData.promotion3Date, to: retireDate).month! }
}

extension Date {
    var age: Int { Calendar.current.dateComponents([.year], from: self, to: Date()).year! }
    var yearGroup: Int { Calendar.current.dateComponents([.year], from: self, to: Date()).year! + 1}
    var totalYearsRemaining: Int { Calendar.current.dateComponents([.year], from: self, to: retireDate).year! } //3rd error here
    var totalMonthsRemaining: Int { Calendar.current.dateComponents([.month], from: self, to: retireDate).month! } //4th error here
}

The errors are:

1. Cannot use instance member 'userData' within property initializer; property initializers run before 'self' is available
  2. Cannot use instance member 'userData' within property initializer; property initializers run before 'self' is available
  3. Cannot find 'retireDate' in scope
  4. Cannot find 'retireDate' in scope

Hi, I opened the EmployeeModel and the EmployeeViewModel and EmployeeViewModel is giving me a few errors

Value of type 'Employee' has no member 'promotion1Date' Value of type 'Employee' has no member 'promotion2Date' Value of type 'Employee' has no member 'promotion3Date'

I was able to remove the other 4 errors making the following changes: for the first 2 errors i changed the let to a computed property:

var retireDate: Date { Calendar.current.date(byAdding: .year, value: userData.retirementAge, to: userData.birthdate)! }

for the other 2 it should read EmployeeViewModel().retireDate:

var totalYearsRemaining: Int { Calendar.current.dateComponents([.year], from: self, to: EmployeeViewModel().retireDate).year! }
    var totalMonthsRemaining: Int { Calendar.current.dateComponents([.month], from: self, to: EmployeeViewModel().retireDate).month! }

Hope it helps

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.