UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Swift for real-time 3D procedural generation

Forums > Swift

Hi guys,

I am a self tought developer. And very glad to become a memmber of the community. I finished Stanford CS106a course and have experiance in Java and C#.

About two years ago I have started a project to develop an urban design app for ios. All elements of the app are proceduraly generated at realtime. Roads, buildings ... I managed to make a prototype in Unity as it is what I know how to use. Plus I have axccess to a good mesh truiangulation and polygon clipping / offset libraries.

But I am planning to build a beta and future versions using Swift. I understand that it is possible to build anything with any language in the world, but you need to consider time you will have to invest.

As I am not a proffesional software developer, I would like to ask you a couple of questions.

1. How hard would it be to build procedural generation app in Swift? I mean Unity handles a lot of things for you, for example I can simply create classes for points and edges and constarct and display mesh on the screen
  2. How about 3D camera and navigation in Swift ? Are there any helper api's or should I code all the camera things, rotations, movement , frastrums ...
  3. SceneKit , is it sutable for 3D development and how sutable it is for handling a lot of 3d geometry at the same time?

I am asking these question because, I able to learn basic Swift and SwiftUI, I do know how to use external libraries if needed , but I never worked with shaders or done any hardcore graphics programming :)

You advice will help me a lot. Huge thanks in advance.

Oh and here is a link the app I am working on. www.thebrief.space

Cheers

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.