UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Supplementary Practises

Forums > Swift

Hi does anyone have any recommendations on extra things we can do to practise code, to improve our coding skills? Does reading open source help?

Hi! I tried reading other source code a bit in the past but I dont think it is good idea for learning. I think if you spend all your learning time building stuff then it will be best for improvement but you need to be deliberate about it. Meaning if you are building feature you already did in some other form in other project, resist the temptation to open that project and copy the code, instead try building it again, explore other ways how to do it. Try google to find ways how that problem can be solved.

So what do you thinkg about websites like codewars, edabit?

Just checked it, I dont know these kind of challenges will mostly make you better at abstract code challenges methinks.

Tried the first Swift one which asked what is wrong with the following code:

func multiply(_ a: Double, _ b: Double) -> Double {
    a * b
}

And the answer is starting with Swift 5 nothing because you can omit the return for single lines..

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.