UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SSL Certificates

Forums > Swift

I'm asking this here because I dont see another option to ask this question, YES, I understand this is not a swift issue.

I have an app I'm developing and it will never use push notifications. I only plan to use local notifications. So I am a little confused on a few things.

1. Why are push notifications enabled when you want to use iCloud?
  2. In the developer portal > Certificates, Identifiers and Profiles > App Identifier do I need to configure a Developent SSL and Production SSL certificate?
  3. If I do, do I need to install them into my Keychain

Thanks, Mark

Sorry, I'm doing this on windows 10 and I don't know the answer but you can label it iOS being related to iCloud.

Hi,

1) I guess this is related to CloudKit subscriptions - you can get silent push notification when remote data changes informing you to download them so your app is up-to-date.

2) No. Local notifications don't require any of this. Even for CloudKit ones this isn't neccessary.

SSL certificates are needed when you want to send notifications from your own server. The flow is then something like this: Your server -> Apple's Notification Service (APNS) -> Your app

@nemecek-filip , Hi Filip

So, you're telling me just to make sure I understand, that If I don't plan on using Push Notifications then I don't need to configure these SSL Certificates, correct?

Thanks Mark

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.