UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

IOS & WatchOS background communication

Forums > Swift

I have a IOS application with a companion WatchOS application. I am wondering if there is a way I can communicate with the IOS application while it not running as a foreground application.

My situation right now is that my IOS application is connected to a bluetooth device. This device can only be connected to one thing at a time. I want the IOS application to handle all bluetooth communication. I also would like to have the WatchOS send data to the IOS application while, the phone is locked or the application is in the background, to tell it to send data to the bluetooth device.

Is there any way to do this?

I don't think so, but your watch can access data via the network. Perhaps you might be able to find a way to use that to keep the watch app updated?

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/watchkit/keeping_your_watchos_content_up_to_date

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.