UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

How to handle XCode Updates

Forums > Swift

I've spent the last half year learning Swift / SwiftUI / XCode. I went through one automatic upgrade toe XCode 13 (from 12) that broke some of the code and programming techniques that I had learned. I removed the App store version of XCode and installed 13.2 from the Apple Developer downloads.

I'm currently running Swift 5.5.2 and XCode 13.2. I see now that Apple wants to automatically upgrade XCode command line tools to 13.3, but not XCode as I didn't install it from the app store. What could happen if the XCode command line tools are updated to 13.3, but XCode remains at 13.2?

Is there a way to install XCode 13.3 / Swift 5.6 side by side with my current versions and access both on the same Mac? I'm concerned that the upgrade may break some of the code that I have written.

Thanks, Mark

Yes, you can have multiple versions of Xcode installed on the same machine.

I've found the Xcodes app to be invaluable in doing so. That way, you won't have to mess around with xcode-select on the command line whenever you want to switch versions.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.