UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: Easiest way to create an array of all capital letters?

Forums > Swift

Basically, I want to end up with the same result as this...

let letters = ["A", "B", "C", "D", "E", "F", "G", "H", "I", "J", "K", "L", "M", "N", "O", "P", "Q", "R", "S", "T", "U", "V", "W", "X", "Y", "Z"]

But I don't want to have to type out each letter in quotes individually. It seems like there must be a better way to do this right?

Well, it doesn't get much better than that. What you can do is:

let letters = "A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z"
let singleLetters = letters.components(separatedBy: ",")

Probably the easiest:

let alphabet = "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"
print(Array(alphabet))
//["A", "B", "C", "D", "E", "F", "G", "H", "I", "J", "K", "L", "M", "N", "O", "P", "Q", "R", "S", "T", "U", "V", "W", "X", "Y", "Z"]

Alright thanks.

I was thinking there would be something like this that could be used

let letters = Array(CharacterSet.uppercaseLetters)

This doesn't work, and I'm not exactly sure why. But I thought there would at least be something similar to use.

Although, looking at roosterboy's solution, it's about the same amount of characters to type anyway.

But if there were something like this, you could use the auto completion in Xcode to type it faster, and not have to worry about if you mistyped the string.

This doesn't work, and I'm not exactly sure why. But I thought there would at least be something similar to use.

Because CharacterSet isn't a Collection. It's not really a Set, despite the name.

CharacterSet is designed for you to test membership (e.g., is a particular character in the Unicode group CharacterSet.uppercaseLetters), not for iterating through.

Also, if you look at the documentation for CharacterSet.uppercaseLetters, it is described as: "the characters in Unicode General Category Lu and Lt."

Category Lu contains 1,791 characters. Category Lt (also represented by CharacterSet.capitalizedLetters) contains an additional 31 characters. I'm not sure that's truly what you were looking for. ;)

You could assemble an array of uppercase ASCII letters by looping through the ASCII values 65 through 90, but you're still hardcoding something so I, at least, don't consider it much of an improvement over what I posted before.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.