UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Tutorials on how to create macOS apps.

Forums > macOS

macOS. Not iOS. These are incredibly difficult to find. I've followed many a link to matches in Google where the text of the link says macOS tutorial(s). But when you visit the site, it's all iOS.

I started with the newer (blue) 100 Days of SwiftUI here on Paul's site. When I got to day 25, I looked ahead and realized the entire thing is iOS. Yes, it will be a good thing to know this, too, but I need to learn macOS programming first.

Why?, you may ask. I have what I think is a great idea for an app I'd like to develop for the Mac. But even Paul's Hacking with macOS book doesn't appear to cover the type of interface design I need to learn. What I need to work my way towards is an interface like you'd see in Suitcase Fusion, or FontExplorerX Pro. Which is a list of files on the drive (in a folder specified in the app's code) that has a toggle for each file, or group selection if they're in a subfolder. Do this if checked - default, or return to default if off.

That's really the entire app I'm envisioning. A single interface panel with the app name and a graphic at the top, and a list of items you can toggle below that.

I did find one nice, similar example of a Mac tutorial using font selection and display. Not quite what I was looking for, but a push in the right direction.

https://www.appcoda.com/macos-programming/

From various screen shots of some of the book's pages, it does look like Paul's book will help a lot in learning how to build a Mac interface in general. Adding new views, a preferences panel, saving settings, etc.

What are my fellow forum user's thoughts on this book? I would lean towards yes, simply because it's virtually the only such self-teaching product for macOS I could find, but still want to know how others who have purchased and gone throught this instruction book feel about it.

Thanks you.

Hi @JKLStudiosLLC,

I was in a similar position to you about a year ago in that I wanted to build a macOS app. What I found was that as long as you're going to build your macOS app with SwiftUI then pretty much everything that you learn on the 100 Days of SwiftUI will apply to macOS as well. The behaviour of some of the elements is a little bit different on macOS but it's not that difficult to figure out. If you try building a macOS version of every app after completing the iOS tutorial I think you'll get the hang of it pretty quick. Good luck!

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by RevenueCat

SPONSORED Take the pain out of configuring and testing your paywalls. RevenueCat's Paywalls allow you to remotely configure your entire paywall view without any code changes or app updates.

Learn more here

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.