UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: macOS Project 7, external drag isn't working

Forums > macOS

Hi

I'm doing Project 7 of Hacking with macOS and did the performExternalDrag function and there aren't any errors showing in Xcode, but when I run the app and try to drag a file from Finder into the app window, it shows the blue insertion line but when I release the mouse button, nothing happens. I've checked my code against the project files and it looks correct. Here's my code:

func performExternalDrag(with items: [NSPasteboardItem], at indexPath: IndexPath) {
        let fm = FileManager.default

// 1. loop over every item on the drag and drop pasteboard
        for item in items {
            // 2. pull out the string containing the URL for this item
            guard let stringURL = item.string(forType: NSPasteboard.PasteboardType(kUTTypeURL
                as String)) else { continue }

// 3. attempt to convert the string into a real URL
            guard let sourceURL = URL(string: stringURL) else { continue }

// 4. create a destination URL by combining 'photosDirectory' with the last path component
            let destinationURL =
                photosDirectory.appendingPathComponent(sourceURL.lastPathComponent)

do {
                // 5. attempt to copy the file to our app's folder
                try fm.copyItem(at: sourceURL, to: destinationURL)
            } catch {
                print("Error copying item from: \(sourceURL): \(error)")
                continue
            }

// 6. update the array and collection view
            photos.insert(destinationURL, at: indexPath.item)
            collectionView.insertItems(at: [indexPath])

}

}

Any ideas what I missed?

I figured it out! I accidentally typed "kUTTypeURL" instead of "kUTTypeFileURL" so close but a major difference.

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.