UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

MKMapView not showing up in Programmatic UI - Could someone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong?

Forums > iOS

Hello, I am attempting to create my first project with a 100% programmatic UI. This project contains an MKMapView to show restaurants near the current user. The issue that I'm having, however, is that the MKMapView isn't showing up, even with the constraints that I've applied. I tried constraining a MKMapView in Storyboard and it shows up just fine. Did I forget to include something that the storyboard does for you? Did a do the constraints properly? Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. Thanks in advance.

My code is:

import UIKit
import MapKit
import CoreLocation

class ViewController: UIViewController {
    var mapView: MKMapView!
    var viewLocationsButton: UIButton!

override func loadView() {
        self.view = UIView()
        view.backgroundColor = .systemBackground

viewLocationsButton = UIButton()
        viewLocationsButton.translatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints = false
        viewLocationsButton.backgroundColor = UIColor(red: 0, green: 0, blue: 0.75, alpha: 1)
        viewLocationsButton.tintColor = .white
        viewLocationsButton.setImage(UIImage(systemName: "mappin.and.ellipse"), for: .normal)
        viewLocationsButton.layer.borderWidth = 1
        viewLocationsButton.layer.borderColor = UIColor(red: 0, green: 0, blue: 0.75, alpha: 1).cgColor
        viewLocationsButton.layer.cornerRadius = 15
        viewLocationsButton.setTitle("Show Locations", for: .normal)

mapView = MKMapView()
        mapView.translatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints = false
        mapView.mapType = .standard
        mapView.centerCoordinate = CLLocationCoordinate2D(latitude: 37.0902, longitude: 95.7129)

#if os(macOS)
        mapView.showsZoomControls = true
        #endif

mapView.showsCompass = true
        mapView.showsScale = true
        mapView.isZoomEnabled = true

view.addSubview(mapView)
        view.addSubview(viewLocationsButton)

setupConstraints()
    }

override func viewDidLoad() {
        super.viewDidLoad()
    }

func setupConstraints() {
        NSLayoutConstraint.activate([
            viewLocationsButton.bottomAnchor.constraint(equalTo: view.safeAreaLayoutGuide.bottomAnchor, constant: -20),
            viewLocationsButton.leadingAnchor.constraint(equalTo: view.safeAreaLayoutGuide.leadingAnchor, constant: 20),
            viewLocationsButton.trailingAnchor.constraint(equalTo: view.safeAreaLayoutGuide.trailingAnchor, constant: -20),
            viewLocationsButton.heightAnchor.constraint(equalToConstant: 50),

mapView.topAnchor.constraint(equalTo: view.topAnchor),
            mapView.leadingAnchor.constraint(equalTo: view.leadingAnchor),
            mapView.trailingAnchor.constraint(equalTo: view.leadingAnchor),
            mapView.bottomAnchor.constraint(equalTo: viewLocationsButton.topAnchor, constant: -20)
        ])
    }
}

Skimming the code, you have both the mapView.leadingAnchor and mapView.trailingAnchor set as being equalTo: view.leadingAnchor.

TAKE YOUR SKILLS TO THE NEXT LEVEL If you like Hacking with Swift, you'll love Hacking with Swift+ – it's my premium service where you can learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI, functional programming, algorithms, and more. Plus it comes with stacks of benefits, including monthly live streams, downloadable projects, a 20% discount on all books, and free gifts!

Find out more

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.