UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: HealthKit doesn't refresh query data until force quit

Forums > iOS

Hello!

HealthKit is hard :)

Context: I'm building an app to keep track of mileage the user ran in their shoes. The user can manually log workouts, but I'm working on finishing up HealthKit integration so the user just has to log a workout in Health however they see fit and the app will find it.

HealthKit is connected and mostly working with one big exception.

Here is the issue I'm running into: If the user completes a workout and the app in either the background or foreground, the workout cannot be found until the user quits/reboots the app.

The below function I believe is the culprit. Specifically, the HKSampleQuery does not find workouts logged since the app launched.

Is there a way to find new workouts without quitting/restarting the app?

func asyncGetWorkouts(start: Date, end: Date) async -> [HKWorkout]? {
        let store = HKHealthStore()

let walkingPredicate = HKQuery.predicateForWorkouts(with: .walking)        
        let timePredicate = HKQuery.predicateForSamples(withStart: start, end: end, options: .strictStartDate)

let walkingCompound = NSCompoundPredicate(andPredicateWithSubpredicates:
        [walkingPredicate, timePredicate])

let sortDescriptor = NSSortDescriptor(key: HKSampleSortIdentifierEndDate, ascending: false)

func startQuery() async -> [HKWorkout] {
            let group = DispatchGroup()
            group.enter()

var output: [HKWorkout] = []
            let query = HKSampleQuery(sampleType: .workoutType(), predicate: walkingCompound, limit: 0, sortDescriptors: [sortDescriptor]) { (query, samples, error) in
                guard let samples = samples as? [HKWorkout], error == nil else {
                  return
                }

output = samples
                group.leave()
              }

store.execute(query)

group.wait()

return output
        }

return await startQuery()
}

Is the end date in your query correct or is it only set on app start?

Thanks for the input and that is what it was! I was generating the date (which included time) when the app launched. Obviously the time was the issue, so now by updating the date upon calling this method fixed the bug!

Glad I could help.

TAKE YOUR SKILLS TO THE NEXT LEVEL If you like Hacking with Swift, you'll love Hacking with Swift+ – it's my premium service where you can learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI, functional programming, algorithms, and more. Plus it comes with stacks of benefits, including monthly live streams, downloadable projects, a 20% discount on all books, and free gifts!

Find out more

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.